Tuesday 31 January 2012

when I were a lass

I have just seen a comment on You Tube that really sums up how nostalgic I have been feeling recently:

"I like to think Britain in the 90s was exactly like pulp videos" 

Perhaps it's because my birthday is coming up soon, but I seem to be constantly seeing or hearing things that leave me thinking of my teens and early 20's.

My journey to work seems to be full memory joggers. From the picture shop that I used to walk past on my way home from school, where my friend would point out the white dress photo of Marilyn Monro 'that's a classic' (this had even more presence to a 13 year old girl than it does to a nearly 28 year old woman). To the road that another friend used to live on, the church hall where I spent nearly every Friday night for over 10 years. The train station that I used to walk pass on my way to college.

I am wondering if it is possible to have a late twenties life crisis? Here's a secret I'm some what reluctant to reveal, most of the time I don't feel like a grown up at all. I'm still that confused teenager, who feels self concious when she gets on the bus, (why does everyone feel the need to stare at the new passenger?), who still can't get the hair and make up right, who stills gets embarrassed about asking where the toilets are when she goes out to the pub.

So 28 in a few weeks; my new philosophy is cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

No comments:

Post a Comment